Chief Operating Officer
- Responsible for managing the overall daily operations and communicate the organizations status to the company ownership.
- Ensure that the business operations are efficient and effective and that the proper management of resources including personnel and material are maintained.
- Communicate and stress the company safety mission and culture throughout all operations so that it infiltrates employees’ actions.
- Establish and maintain important relationships and networks that will lead to business development opportunities.
Recovery Liaison, Office of the Governor May 2017 – January 2020
State of Louisiana
- Provided day to day liaison with local, state and federal stakeholders to monitor and support implementation of Louisiana Recovery Programs.
- Collected information, data and documents relevant to specific program activities and provided periodic reports to the Governor and the Chief of Staff focused on the Governors critical information requirements.
- Attended meetings and community outreach events associated with the recovery programs and monitored the proceedings to identify successes and potential issues. Ensured that the appropriate program stakeholders were aware of issues and that they were tracked and resolved in a timely manner.
- Supported the Executive Director of the Office of Community Development within the scope of the liaison responsibilities
Vice President, Thompson Booth LLC July 2015 – April 2017
TBLLC and the Morial Convention Center
- Provided consulting services to clients in the areas of emergency management and business continuity planning. Major clients included Walmart, Amazon, and local and state agencies
- Served as a senior advisor to the Morial Convention Center for their RES/CON and the Farm and Table Experience annual conferences. Provided guidance in conference programming, marketing and sponsorship
- Conducted exercise facilitation for LSU-SDMI and provided presentations/speeches to various audiences on emergency management
Director of Business Development September 2013 – June 1015
Stephenson Disaster Management Institute (SDMI), Louisiana State University
- Developed the Center for Business Preparedness (CBP) structure that brought in grant dollars to conduct business continuity outreach opportunities across the state
- Developed and launched the Corporate Member Program that brought in donors and project partners to the institute including major companies such as Amazon, Ixia, and Witt O’Brien’s
- Created and served as chairman of the Animals in Disaster Advisory Group (ADAG). The ADAG raised funds to conduct projects such as the Mobile Animal Pet Shelter which is the first of its kind in the United States. Worked with FEMA to produce a policy and best practice document for organizations involved in pet rescue and sheltering.
- Brought into the institute numerous projects including development of a State Police Hazmat and Preparedness App, Enhanced School Safety Program, business continuity training, and disaster training and exercises.
- Spoke at numerous conferences and meetings on disaster preparedness, response and mitigation topics. Member of the Executive Advisory Committee for the annual International Disaster Conference and Expo (IDCE)
Deputy Director/Interim Director March 2006 – August 2013
Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP)
- Principal advisor to the Governor and the Director of GOHSEP as a member of the State Unified Command Group
- Supervised all aspects of homeland security, emergency management, and interoperability for the agency
- Manage key programs including Federal homeland security (HLS) grants, critical infrastructure/key resource (CI/KR) program, cyber security, regional coordinators, radiological program, the State Fusion Center, plans, training, exercises and operational responses to all hazard emergencies in the state
- Served as the Chairman of the State Interoperable Committee (SIEC) which has oversight of the Louisiana Wireless Interoperable Network (LWIN)
- Managed numerous incidents including federally declared disaster for Tropical Storm Lee, statewide wildfires, and a massive Pearl River fish kill
- Led the effort in developing preparedness and response plans based on Hurricanes Katrina and Rita lessons learned
- Worked closely with parish, state, and federal officials in establishing efficient lines of communication, planning, and coordination resulting in successful operational responses to events such as Hurricane Gustav, Ike and the BP oil spill
- Member of the staff that developed the Louisiana Business Emergency Operations Center (LA BEOC)
- Conducted numerous briefings to state, local and international groups on emergency management
Chief of Homeland Security January 2006 – June 2006
Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP)
- Supervised all HLS programs including HLS grants totaling in excess of 30 million dollars
- Conducted the first statewide grant workshop which included the participation of local parish stakeholders in the development and implementation of the state HLS strategy
- Instrumental in facilitating the first Memorandum of Agreement between the United States Coast Guard and the State of Louisiana for law enforcement coordination and support
- Served as a member of the State Homeland Security Advisory Council, Anti-Terrorism Task Force and the Maritime Security Council
- Supervised the training branch responsible for statewide delivery of emergency management professional development courses
- Worked in conjunction with the Louisiana State Police (LSP) to establish the State Fusion Center and improve intelligence and outreach
Joint Director of Military Support (JDOMS) October 2004 – December 2005
Joint Headquarters, State Military Department, Louisiana National Guard (LANG)
- Served as principal staff officer and advisor to the Adjutant General on all matters relating to Military Support to Civil Authorities
- Coordinated staff guidance and support for the 62nd Civil Support Team (Weapons of Mass Destruction) Detachment
- Formulated Louisiana National Guard (LANG) Emergency Operations Plans
- Participated in a significant role in the National Guard military response to both Hurricanes Katrina and Rita by providing leadership and guidance coordinating the efforts of thousands of National Guard, Coast Guard, Department of Defense, and local first responder assets in the effort to save thousands of lives, secure property and reestablish local government operations.
- Executive Leadership Program (ELP), Naval Post Graduate School 2013
- National Preparedness Leadership Initiative (NPLI) Program, Harvard University 2010
- Master of Arts in Organizational Management, University of Phoenix May 1998
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of New Orleans, December 1981
Activities & Awards
- Appointed member of the FEMA National Advisory Committee (NAC) 2013-2015
- Board member of the Louisiana Emergency Preparedness Association (LEPA) and received Presidents Award in 2013
- Certified Louisiana Emergency Manager (LEM)
- Member of the National Emergency Management Association (NEMA)
- Governor Appointed Former Board Member – Louisiana Emergency Response Network (LERN)
- Governor Appointed Former Member to the Louisiana Emergency Response Commission
- Former Board Member of the Holy Cross High School Athletic Association
- Former Board Member and Volunteer Coach at Carolyn Park Playground 1991-1999
- Rotary Club Honored Citizen Award, 1992
Numerous Military Awards & Decorations
- The Legion of Merit
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Army Commendation Medal (4 oak leaf’s)
- DOD Joint Service Medal
- Army Achievement Medal (3 oak leaf’s)
- Louisiana Cross of Merit
- Louisiana War Cross
- Louisiana Commendation Medal
- Louisiana Emergency Service Medal
- Parachutist Badge
- ROTC Distinguished Military Graduate and U.N.O Chancellors Award, 1981